Over the weekend, my Mother-in-Law sent me this awesome recipe for homemade gum drops that she’d seen on Pinterest. We traced it back to Trish of the blog, Mom on Time Out. What a great idea! Aren’t they cute?! She says they’re super easy. After a weekend of baking flops, “easy”, is EXACTLY what I’m TALKIN’ about right now! For the holidays the green/red combo is appropriate, but honestly, I cannot stand cherry or lime flavored things. Flavors like orange, watermelon, strawberry, and berry blue sound much more pleasing to this palette. 🙂 And if you happen to need some teeny-tiny little cookie cutters to get the job done, I found THESE 1.5″ cuties on Amazon.
Here’s the How-to:
- 2- 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups no sugar added applesauce
- 2 pkgs (3 ounces each) red or green gelatin (i.e. cherry, lime, etc. Jello)
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 tsp lemon juice (bottled can be used)
1. Coat a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Place in refrigerator.
2. Combine 2 cups sugar, applesauce, flavored gelatin, unflavored gelatin and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Let it sit for 1 minutes.
3. While stirring constantly, bring contents of saucepan to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Immediately pour into cold 9 X 13 baking dish.
4. Place baking dish in refrigerator until firm (around 3 hours, though it’s fine to leave overnight if you wish)
5. Loosen the sides of the gelatin with a spatula and invert onto cutting board or waxed paper. At this point, I’m wondering what it would be like to simply line the 9 X 13 with Parchment paper at the beginning. Then you could simply lift the entire batch of gelatin out of the pan at once and it’s already on a workable surface??? I think I’ll try it that way. 🙂
6. Dip the tiny cookie cutters into hot water, and then into the gelatin to cut out shapes.
7. Sprinkle sugar over a piece of waxed paper. Place gumdrops on top of sugar. Let dry for 8 hours or until slightly sticky.
8. Roll in remaining sugar and store in an airtight container.
Looking for more recipes? See what else we’ve been cooking at Bucktown Bargains!